Saturday, April 16, 2005

cont'd grandfather's death a year ago....

Our family members that were on their way to Chisasibi did not make it in time to say goodbye. My cousin, grandpa's sister Harriet, my uncle Roderick and a few others walked in the room a few hours later. My grandfather's sister knew from the moment she saw his lifeless body that he had passed on. She stood by his bed and weeped, while we all comforted her. So many people came to see us and bought food to the hospital while we were there. One person that I was so proud of through out the whole time we were there was Priscilla Weapenicappo. As some of you are aware, she works as a Nurse in Chisasibi. She was there with my grandfather, visited him and translated for him. Her many coffee breaks were spent there in his room. He was always so silly and mentioning that he had a french girl as his girlfriend "oopsh-stag-gahyo-shkewsh nii skwhesh sheem" he would say. One of his wishes before he died was to find his long lost brother Andrew. From the stories he had told me...Andrew left spring camp and never returned to his family. He said "People say they saw him in Mistassini recently". There were stories of people seeing him in the Toronto region also. I'm not sure what happened when he disappeared or left. But, a few family members think he may have a mental disorder of some kind. I remember talking to my grandpa a few years ago and he was giving me information about when Andrew was born etc. He wanted so badly to see him. I may continue my search for my 'other' grandpa. Where to look first, what to do?

No comments: